Casein paint or milk paint is unlike any other natural water-based paint as it dries water-proof. However, it must cure for a certain time, usually about a week to a month. Despite this, it dries to the touch quickly, if painted thinly, so that many successive layers can be painted in one session. Thicker layers may take about a day to dry.
Cracking can occur for a number of reasons: The paint may have an excess of binder, or the previous layer may not have dried completely. On the other hand, this can be used to create beautiful crackle effects. Simply paint on top of an incompletely dried casein gesso.
How to Prepare Milk Paint
The recipe for the casein binder is fairly easy:
- Soak 2 1/2 oz. (80 g) casein powder in 9 fl.oz. (250 ml) room temperature water* for at least 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the soaked casein.
- While the soaked casein is heating, dissolve 1 oz. (32 g) borax in 9 fl.oz. (250 ml) hot water*.
- Stir the hot borax solution into the soaked casein when it reaches 120 °F (48 °C).
- Continue stirring the casein solution while heating to 180 °F (82 °C).
- Cook at that temperature for at least 15 minutes with continuous stirring.
- Allow the mixture stand to cool to room temperature and store in a refrigerator.
- Add 6 cups (1.4 liters) water for use.
How to Use
Use only on rigid, porous surfaces. Casein is brittle, so flexible supports, such as stretched canvas, should not be used. Prime the surface with diluted casein binder. Next mix chalk and titanium dioxide or zinc oxide white pigment with the casein binder to create casein gesso. Apply gesso as usual and sand fully dried coats (approximately one day) as needed.
Preparing Casein Colors
Mix pigments with distilled water into a paste. Add an equal amount of casein binder to the paste. Thin with water to the desired consistency. Test your paint by applying it on a piece of cardboard. If some of the pigment rubs off after an hour, you need more binder. If it cracks, reduce the binder content by adding more pigment and water.
Storing Casein Binder
Store the prepared binder in the refrigerator, and warm to room temperature before use. Keeps for 2–3 weeks.
* Use distilled water to prepare the binder to reduce microbial contamination and prevent mold.
Milk Paint Ingredients
Where to buy